Saturday, November 20, 2010

Muddy Buddy 2010 Ride & Run Recap!



Well hello there. It’s been awhile, hasn’t it?



I’ve been busy, of course, with school, work and running. I recently did Muddy Buddy and the race recap will follow shortly (yes, that means you have to be patient). I am currently in training for the RNR Phoenix Half Marathon in January. So, hopefully, I will have some great posts about my exciting training. But, I have to remind everyone that finals are approaching (way too fast) and I may be out of the blog scene from time to time and unless I can muster up some sort of decent post (in my soon to be sleep deprived state), you may not see me until winter break. I hope it does not come to this! I love reading your blogs and posting comments and letting you know I’m still here. So don’t lose faith in me! I am still here. Just a little less, until school is out.

Okay, here you go. The Muddy Buddy 2010 Race Recap!!!

The photos were taken with a disposal camera and then scanned. So they aren't the best quality!

Joann (my sister), her husband Josh, his little brother Nick and I headed out to the McDowell Mountain park at around 6:30 am. It was pretty much freezing (to an Arizonian). We walked down to the start to pick up our packets and I got a first glance of the mud pit. It was quiet and still...for now.











We walked back to the car and got our gear ready. Bikes, helmets, and a waist pack (to hold my camera and chap stick). It warmed up to the point that I was able to take off my jacket. 


Muddy Buddies!
We headed down to the start and watched the costume contest. There were some pretty great ideas! We are thinking about doing it next year. I think it'd be fun to get muddy in a costume. :)




Joann and Josh....Looking like they're ready for some mud


After the costume contest, we headed over to the start where we got into our wave groups. We were in the second wave. The bikes were separated from the runners, and they got to go first. Nick was off! and then I waited in the runner group, a little cold, and then I was off! 



Running made me colder for about the first mile. Wind doesn't help when your body in not warmed up. But then I warmed up and I felt pretty good. I passed a few people (who started out way too fast. See, that's what you get...) and kept a pretty decent pace. The McDowell mountain park is very pretty...for Phoenix. No offence to my Phoenix peeps, I just love my Tucson home. :)


About 10 minutes after this photo, I got to the first obstacle. It was basically some nets we had to crawl under. Not too exciting. I finished it pretty quickly and went to look for the bike. 



At the first obstacle...looking for bikes


As soon as I got on my bike, I knew I got stuck with the WORST part of the course. As were all the other runners who were stuck with this part of the course on the bike. What a dirty little trick Muddy Buddy race directors. Or WHOEVER decided a WASH would be a good place to ride a bike. WTH!?!
 

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO RIDE A BIKE



Looks easy...in this photo. But no. Most of time people were walking their bikes. Or trying to ride...and failing. I just walked it through most of the wash. At the end of it there was a nice dirt trail. Thank god.
The next obstacle we came up on was a small rock wall and a net on the other side. It was a little more challenging considering it required more balance. I met Nick at this one, right before we set off again. I told him how much a pain in the ass that last ride was. And he said...Yeah, we thought we shouldn't tell you about that. Wow. Where's the family love?? You know, watching out for each other and what not...













And we were off again!  





The next obstacle was walking across balancing beams. This seemed very hard...to everyone else. This was by far definitely the easiest! (Yay for gymnastics classes!!)



I grabbed the bike and took a few seconds for a photo op.  :)





This was my second (and last) time on the bike, and it definitely scary. I don't do a whole of mountain biking, so the downhills pretty much scared the crap out of me! Plus, having cholla on the trail didn't help much either.

Finally, I got to the last obstacle before the mud pit. The inflatable slide!




This one was tricky. There was too many people on it at once and it kept moving from side to side=not helpful. But I got over it and down the other side!



I grabbed some water and I off to run the last leg! As some point, Nick passed me. He was slowing down a little (this part was really hilly...which means hard!) so we chatted for a few seconds. He kept peddling and he was gone. I was alone for a little while, no one seemed to be anywhere around me. It was kinda peaceful, except for the fact that I was pretty much dying! I was so tired at this point and just wanted to walk. I ended up doing that a few times, but I kept remembering Nick had to wait for me before we crossed the mud pit. And then I saw all the white tents and heard the music and knew I was close!








The last hill before the finish!

Finally, I made it to the end of the running portion! Up next: The famous mud pit!


Right before we head into the mud pit!

The mud was so cold!! I crawled in and remembered the how gravel-y (a word now) it was. Glad my pants were long enough to cover my knees!

The official finishing photo:


Shared Photo


Our finishing time- 1:11:34











Joann and Josh in the mud pit!

Finally, we saw Joann and Josh come in. I tried to wave them into the lane closest to us so I could get a good photo, but I guess they didn't get it.

And that was my last photo. :(

I'm sad I didn't get a photo of us all at the end, all muddy, or a photo of the hose showers or everything else! Maybe I'll use my photos more wisely next time. :)

I had a great time at this race!! It was so much fun! I really don't think I can wait until next year to do it again.

And I may not have to.

My friend Maggie clued me in on a race in April called Warrior Dash.
I may be jumping ahead....but I don't think so. :)
Planning for races is waaaay too much fun. And a little addicting.
More on this Warrior Dash later....and my run tonight. This post is a little lengthy already...

4 comments:

  1. That looks like soo much fun!!!! Good idea with the disposal camera and the quality turns out really good. Good luck on your exams and I can't wait to read more about your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot! I'm sooo glad you posted pictures of the obstacles...I would have signed up for next year's, had I not seen what I would have to do....this Nana doesn't think this race is for her..even though it looks like a ton of fun. ;)
    Bravo to you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I loved that race in Orlando when I did it a few years ago. I hope to catch up on reading your blog soon. I'm so close to being done with my crazy school project. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That looks like such a fun race! I have got to try to find something like this here in Minnesota:)

    Congrats on a fun and challenging race!

    ReplyDelete

I love what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...