Sunday, March 7, 2010

My first 5K and a new training program!

I will now be offically be running in my first ever 5k! I just registered online. I would have done it sooner, considering it is in a month, but I had to wait for my paycheck. Oh, the life of living from paycheck to paycheck. I'm super excited and trying to get some of my friends to do it. I am currently running it with my older sister, Joann. Actually, I'll probably be running by myself because she's way more experienced. :) I love you, Joann!

Also, I've decided that I will not run my first marathon in San Diego. Instead, I will run my first half marathon. Still very exciting! I just figured that since I have two jobs and I'm enrolled at two different schools, I won't have enough time to train for a marathon. A half marathon is way more managable for me at this point. Some other city will host my marathon, someday. And that brings me to the new training program. Joann bought me a Nike + thingy (not really sure what to call it...tracker?) and I've signed up with the Nike + website. They have all kinds of training progams on there (for those low on cash and no time to join up with a running group) with programs for a 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon and other stuff. I'm happy to have a schedule to stick to now!

So, yes, the running club didn't work out for me. I tried to go last Friday, but I was just so gosh darn tired from my new job and midterms, that I just decided to rest. I would hate to let everyone on the team down because I wouldn't be able to show up for most of the week. Sometimes, I do like just running by myself. It's relaxing, I get to listen to my music, and talk to myself. Yes, I talk to myself outloud when I run, but usually only when I'm by myself. It's more like a motivation thing, than anything weird. I tell myself to make it to the corner, or to keep going or to stop whining. It works for me, so, I'm going to keep doing it. Don't judge me. :p

Is it weird that I want to go running again because I didn't make my goal today? I know it's late, and dark, and still raining and windy...but I'm so wired! My legs ache but it doesn't even matter. I'm so excited to run my first few races this year, I just want to do it right now!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh congrats on your first 5K! I was hooked after my first! And don't worry, I've caught myself saying mantras out loud. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your training! I don't think you necessarily need to run 10 miles prior to signing up for the half but rather, build up to 10-12 miles max as your long run during the training for it. :)

    Good luck at your first 5K!

    Also, please run carefully with your doggy...they need to build up stamina just like people :)

    Happy running!!

    ReplyDelete

I love what you have to say!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...